Thursday 31 December 2020

My End of Year Blog Part Two



I'm thinking of that fateful day in May, when the world watched in horror as George Floyd was murdered in broad daylight in Minneapolis, Minnesota. 


The incident, referred by some as a modern-day lynching, came to light when a witness posted the horrific scene on social media. Within hours, a widespread furore had spread across the world. 


I recall George's dying words, 'I can't breathe'.


'I can't breathe later became the Black Lives Matter movement slogan as they took to the streets to protest across the United States of America and indeed, the world.

Here, in the United Kingdom, people of every race, colour, creed, also took to the streets in solidarity of the cause.


'I am sick and tired of being sick and tired', I tweeted as anger rippled through me. 

I could not; still cannot fathom how another human being could do that to another. 


For me, it is not just the Africa in African American I could not ignore, but the victim could have easily have been a black man I know and love.

 

As the events unfolded, I gravitated towards historical documentaries. I lived and breathed the civil rights movements, the emancipation of slaves and notable figures such as Harriet Tubman, Martin Luther King Jr and the others. I learnt more about history in the space of two weeks than I did during my days in school - I wanted to understand.


Regrettably, the world is an unjust place. 


If only humanity could grasp that you cannot purposely sow seeds of hatred and create an enemy and expect to live in perfect peace. Things do not work that way.

I'm thinking of the rage. 


The solidarity I witnessed among people of all races, colour and creed gives me hope. Hope that racism will, one day, lose its traction and become a thing of the past.


Without a doubt, 2020 gave me something upon which to ponder. 

Amidst the gloom, and with no sunny beaches to escape to, I was forced to confront myself and look to the little things for joy and comfort. 


Fleeting moments that, due to the hustle and bustle of life, often go unnoticed. 

With no plans to travel, visit friends or go to the cinema, I could sit still at the end of my working week and take stock, reflecting as I dig deep into my deepest fears, desires, hopes and dreams. 



I learnt to delight in minor pleasures - going for a stroll in my neighbourhood ad exercising within my four walls' confines. 

Who would have thought the day would come when I got to drive to work in the absence of the dreaded rush-hour traffic?

With each day that God allows me to breathe, I affirm what really matters and fill my heart with gratitude. 

Each day has been about gratitude. With each day that God allows me to breathe, I affirm what really matters and fill my heart with gratitude. Appreciation for another dawn, another saved life, another chance to try. 

2020 has been a year of virtual dates. The year I saw a boy band perform in perfect harmony online in different parts of the world. 

It's incredible what we could unlock through technology. Where would we be without Zoom, WhatsApp, Teams and various social media channels? 

Lockdown gave me the gift of spending more time with my daughter.   

If, like me, you were fortunate enough to spend Christmas in the bosom of your family, then you will know what a blessing that was. 

The discovery of vaccines has brought us hope. It is too soon to tell what the future holds, but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Here's to a hopeful New Year, 2021!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment