Sunday 7 July 2013

Sport and me....


So Andy Murray won the tournament today. Phew! Or should I say congratulations? Talk about having a good day. Not just an ordinary day, but a ‘summery’ one in every sense of the word. I can almost picture the queen whispering ‘one has done the country proud’ to the dear Duke!

Lord help me if I ever utter the words ‘I’m not a big fan’ amidst those more patriotic than I. I’ve never been an avid sport follower to say the least but I’m often fascinated by those who live and breathe sport. Ask any wife whose stance is similar to mine and they will tell you how much they dread any sporting season for they are turned into the so called ‘sport widows’ as their efforts go intentionally unnoticed.

So what is it about sport that gets people this much excited?

A philosophical view given by Lipsky (1981) declares that the Sportsworld is a lived world, just like those of literature and theatre which is highly charged with human meaning. Apparently, just like a story, this Sportsworld has its own plots, scenes, characters and settings. Of course it is common knowledge that each kind of sport has its own unique language which according to Lipsky gives the world some kind of cohesion.
Even though I’m not into sport I’ve since acknowledged the power of sport in bringing people together. In the words of one of the great man (Nelson Mandela) ‘sport has the power to change the world and has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than government in breaking down racial barriers.’ Powerful words to say the least!

 Conversely, one has to admit that sport also has the ability to tear people apart. Where there is a winner, there is always a loser. Someone is left heartbroken and with their dreams shattered. What can one say? It’s a tough competitive world out there and one has got to lose with dignity – we hope. However, dignity doesn’t always prevail in the sporting world. I’ve heard racial chants being thrown around, seen people beat the hell out of each other because of sport. People have been known to lose big money on the bookies, some have refused food for days and Lord knows there are graves in the name of sport!


 So, today as we celebrate Andy Murray’s victory, I hope to God there will be no broken teeth because of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment