Thursday, 18 June 2015
Turn Your Life Around
‘In a field full of dandelions, it can be hard to see a hundred wishes instead of a thousand weeds.’
There's is an old African proverb that says, "If there's no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm." If you want to effect change, then you should start with what's inside. Your heart and your mind. Crucial but not always easy for everybody to follow. Especially when life has left us battered and bruised. How do we even begin to process our circumstance and turn our lives around?
The moment we are born, our environment subjects us to some harsh realities of life. This kind of stimuli, if persistent, conditions us to almost expect adverse outcomes and to maintain a defeatist attitude. It becomes virtually impossible to think positively.
So what can you do to turn a negative situation into a positive one:
1) Write your feelings down. Writing is a cathartic experience when your heart is heavy. Instead of bottling it all in, pour your heart out on a piece of paper. You will also discover some truths about yourself as you put pen to paper. You may get emotional and cry. That is okay. With that comes healing. Isn’t that better than popping pills into your mouth each day?
2) Forgive and let go. Reflect, retreat and learn lessons. There is always something to be gained from every situation that we go through. This way, we know not to repeat the same mistakes.
3) Use your negative experiences to build others. Someone once said, ‘Every situation, when properly perceived, becomes an opportunity.’ Out of our hardships, we can discover ourselves. What we were meant to become in life. For example, you can start a support group, write a motivational blog, or indeed birth a book. That way, you will get a sense of purpose and find the strength to move forward.
4) Dwell on the positives - The human mind tends to move towards that which occupies it. So, as much as you can, look for what's working and focus on that.
5) Give people and life a chance. So you have lost and been hurt a few times. It happens to the best of us. God never promised a life free of trials. Humans were made to overcome adversity. You will bounce back, and when you do, try again and do it with an open mind.
6) Care for someone, love, smile, respect, forgive and give to others. The vibe that you send out into the world is the vibe you will receive in return.
7) No situation in life is permanent. Things change, and sometimes for the better. Trust that you, too, just like the next person, deserve happiness and peace!
8) Last but not least, find your source of strength. For me, it's prayer. It is not my job to wrestle with the Devil, but God’s.
The message here is simple. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!